Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Official trip to Netherlands - Groningen Part 3

Our office schedule was the same everyday. There is nothing much to say on the work front. When it comes to writing a post...I dont like to cover any details of that in the post. Anyway, thursday was shopping day !!! Most shops are open here till 8 PM on thursday and so as soon as we reached hotel after office, we dropped our office bags in the room and went off immediately with our shopping bags !! I shopped for a few souvenirs. And of course, we shopped for chocolates too !!! Chocolates were quite cheap in the Albert heijn market and we bought a lot of chocolates and some cheese too. I also went to a shop which sold only cheese. When I entered, I was most amazed to see hundreds maybe even thousands of variety of cheese. Each variety was neatly stacked in shelves. A full round 'wheel' of cheese looked like a big yellow tire. It just made you want to bite into it, as quickly and deeply as possible !! I was just so confused when I asked the shopkeeper....Would you happen to have a sort of 'assorted' packet of cheese? Shopkeeper: Nope, I dont have that...but you can have a few varieties on weight...maybe a 100 gms of each or so? Me: Mmmm...no...I think I'll buy just one of your recommendations...which one would you recommend? Shopkeeper: Well...lets see...you like to have one from pasteurized milk or normal.. Me: Normal. Shopkeeper: Strong or mild? Me: Medium...not too strong not too mild. Shopkeeper: Salty to taste or bland? Me: Well, on the saltier side.... Shopkeeper...All right then....here you go... He took out a cheese wheel from a nearby shelf....cut a slice....and sliced out a thinner slice for me to taste. I tasted it and it seemed to have a salty and slightly bitter taste...I liked it and bought 200 gms of it. He told me that it was 'beloga cheese'. Later I also bought some packed cheese from the supermarket. On friday, we said a final goodbye to our office colleagues. On saturday, we had a plane to catch in amsterdam at 10:30 and so we started off from Groningen at 6:00 AM in the morning. We reached Amsterdam at around 7:45 AM and after the usual baggage check in....shopped some more in the airport area in their famous 'SEE BUY FLY' duty free shopping area. The security check here was at the boarding gate. So once you go through the security check, you directly board the plane. The body scanning machine here was a sort of round glass enclosure. You had to step inside and then a glass panel would rotate around you and the round glass enclosure. I was forcibly reminded of the sci-fi movies where machines of similar design transformed humans into something else !! I told my friend that he would see a new ravi with superwings or something at the other end of the machine !!! After this we boarded the plane. Our journey was of 7 hours till Delhi. We reached Delhi at 10:30 PM at night where the outside temperature was an unpleasant 38 degrees celcius, at 10:30 PM in the night itself !! Our next plane was Delhi - Mumbai at 3:30 Pm which got cancelled and we got booking on a flight which left delhi at 7:00 AM the next day !!! Anyway...since there were 12 of us...we chatted a lot and had a lot of fun discussing funny incidents from the trip. It was one great trip afterall and hope there are many more like these to come !!!

No comments: