Saturday, September 19, 2020

'Socially' active

 

The definition of being ‘socially active’ has changed so much. It was all about going out from the comfort of your house and attending parties and social functions and chatting a lot. With the advent of social media being ‘socially active’ may simply mean being active on social media – watsapp, facebook, twitter and god knows what other sites. 

A person you might not even know your face may be on your ‘friends list’ in facebook. I know a guy in office, who doesn’t know me, who doesn’t recognize me, who does not even smile at me when we cross paths and yet had invited me on facebook to be my friend (I had accepted his invitation coz I know him by sight and thought that if we aren’t friends now, we will be- after the facebook entry !! Frankly, I would ve been delighted if it was a pretty looking girl who had invited me and then followed up with everything - but gosh,  this is a guy I am talking about L). 

For all I know, on fb, he even wishes me on my birthday, likes the photographs that I upload and even tags me in office party photographs. And yet even in parties – we never interact !! So I say this – Filling your fb page and increasing your friends count over your other friends’ count is like a competition. It has nothing to do with you being socially active. 

Another point is that the meaning of ‘remembering me on my bday’ has lost its special touch. It was a proud moment for any person, when his friend used to call him up and wish him on his birthday (of course, as per the western culture – but then we have been greatly influenced by it in our childhood as well as youth.). It was equally dangerous for a boy to not remember his girlfriends bday.  Such forgetfulness used to cost the boy heavily !! Depending on the girl’s 'mental' tendencies, she used to slap him, physically assault him, stop talking to him, worst breakup with him or all of it – if her birthday was forgotten and flowers were not bestowed. But now, there are fb reminders – you can simply open the app and wish the person. The fun is gone – the action that followed forgotten birthdays is gone (the slaps, or breakups or whatever !!).

Watsapp groups are another rage. I am part of many groups, where I have not actually met people, but keep chatting with them. However, I am of the opinion that forwarding messages each and every time that you get them is definitely not social ‘activism’. That sort of stuff is like playing passing the parcel. For me and I am sure for a lot of people, there are usually huge amounts of messages which are not read, videos which are not watched, photos which are not seen and a lot of other stuff which is simply missed - intentionally or otherwise.  

All said and done – I don’t deny the advantages that social media provides – catching up with everyone – sometimes your childhood pals, sometimes relatives you never get to see, even chatting with your siblings who are abroad and can maybe meet you in person only once a year – you can still chat with them everyday !! 

But it does not mean that being socially active is you are active on social media. Its like showing a water can to a plant without actually watering it !!  

But well – that’s my opinion and I still do not deny that sometimes people can write better than they can speak or present. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Instead of laughing on a joke, people have started saying 'LOL' with a straight face..
Mast lihileys nehamipramane...

RK said...

Lol....with a laughing face :) at reading your comment !! Thanks for the compliment.