Friday, May 6, 2022

The glory and fun of flying

 I checked in my 15 kg bags with a huge relief and collected my boarding pass. The first 'hurdle' was over. I shuffled over to the security counter, put my laptop and other belongings on the tray and stood like in Titanic pose on the small platform while the the security check officer ran the metal detector probe over my arms and body.

With sleepy and watery eyes, I went over to the immigration check. Looking at the customs officer like a zombie, I answered his routine questions and was cleared. Relieved, I went towards my boarding terminal looking around at the colourful shops and the colourful people. A little girl around 4-5 years of age called her mother from a distance. I was reminded of my daughter back at home. 

I sat in the waiting area at the boarding gate. My flight was at 12.30 am and I was off to Africa for a long rotation of 3 months of a company assignment after a beautiful holiday back in india. Sitting down on a waiting seat, I thought about the people back home and generally about people who like many others were back from office after a long day and enjoying dinner with family, happily chatting and laughing away at the 'events of the day narrations' !! All comfortable, satisfied with a full stomach and at being back home with their family finally. They will finish dinner and go and lie on a flat bed to sleep comfortably and wake up fresh for another day. My tired eyes watered even more at the thought. Here I was, at the airport having cleared all formalities, but the prospect of a long journey ahead, that too in the claustrophobic interiors of an airplane, where the only thing you can look forward to is the take off and the landing. And then after the travel part is over, a loneliness of being away from your family in a faraway land. It does require time to get used to, but yeah, those are the initial feelings. Especially if you are travelling for a long assignment.

When I was young, my father was an 'emerging executive' in a big company. He used to frequently travel, but for a few days each time. I remember feeling proud of him when he used to break the news that he is going to travel to a particular country. My sister and I used to be all excited at this news and used to keep our 'lists' so that he shops accordingly !! 

He had a passport with the visa stamps from a lot of countries. I used to scroll through those pages in awe. On the day of travel, he used to pack his bags, put on his formal shirt, trousers and a blazer. Passport in his pocket and polished shoes shining like a mirror, with a wheelie bag, he used to be off. Most of the times we were there to drop him off at the airport. The airport was very posh. His colleagues and he were all very formal looking. Back then, I used to think that it must be 'fun' apart from a 'glorious' and very 'official' way to travel - by an aeroplane. At the time, it was relatively rare for people from middle class to travel by airway. So if someone in the family travelled by flight - that too internationally - it was a matter of prestige and elite. 

Mostly, when dad returned, I used to go with my mother and grandparents to pick up my father at the airport. Standing by the handrails at the arrival terminal, I used to eagerly wait, trying to keep an eye on every person coming out. Finally, the familiar figure used to wave out at us. The same crisp blazer and the same high polish shoes while returning too !! His trolley used to be laden with plastic bags of gifts, toys and chocolates from duty free. There were more gifts inside those wheelies too !!
These days everything is available in India, so much so that whenever you go to another country, you might actually try to find something unique to buy, but finally end up bringing just souvenirs !! 

As years passed, Dad's arrival at the airport became routine, even boring, waiting at the arrival terminal. Dad rose in the organization and his travel became more and more frequent. In general too - flying became more and more common in India over the years. 
The whole flying affair just sort of lost its 'glory' in my mind !! As we grew up, toys were no longer our enjoyment factor  and shopping abroad became only the souvenirs and chocolates.  
More recently, even chocolates from all over the world are available in India !! When I finally flew abroad on my first official visit, I understood that flying isnt that 'posh' and 'enjoyable' or 'official' always. I fully understood what dad went through all those years. Frequent travel isnt exactly a bed of roses and you actually miss out on what your folks at home are enjoying the night that you travel - a time with family and flat bed to sleep peacefully !!      

No comments: