Friday, April 26, 2013

Bachelors, are you qualified?


Me and Wifey were sitting in a garden talking about our careers...how we thought they should be, where they are and what will we do next? The topic switched over to the qualifications that we had (Bachelor's and Master's degree)
Wifey is a Masters in German language and I am a Bachelor's in Instrumentation Engineering. I asked her....Did you find that while pursuing a masters in German....that all your subjects were related only to the German language? Or were there any other subjects during your 2 years of masters when you felt that perhaps, you were only 'beating around the bush'?

Silly question, eh? Well, you might say that....because when you say 'Masters in German' it obviously does not mean that they are going to teach you algebra. Or teach you the french language?

Then I asked her whether it the same with the bachelors degree? (Her bachelors degree is in sanskrit). Did they teach you only sanskrit for all the 3 years of 'Bachelors degree in Sanskrit'?

If your memory can take you back to maybe your first year of Bachelors degree, you will start appreciating my question. In Instrumentation engineering for instance, first year was a revision of science. Applied physics, applied chemistry, maths.Other subjects were engineering drawing, engineering mechanics etc. Second year and Third year were all electronics,computers and Electrical....electronic devices and circuits, microprocessors, computer networks, Electrical technology etc.

By the time I was in the final year of our Engineering, I had almost forgotten that I was supposed to be specializing in a field called 'instrumentation'. There were subjects related to instrumentation in the last year, of course, but then these were again covering different areas of instrumentation....which in itself is a vast field !!

It seems almost obvious now, that I knew almost nothing of instrumentation when I joined a company as graduate engineer trainees.

The point I am trying to make is....when we say starting of education for a bachelor's degree......doesnt it mean that one is qualified enough to only learn what is related to your subject of specialization? After all, you have been through school, junior college where you do the common subjects anyway. Do you have to do post graduation to totally be in that subject? Is Bachelor's degree just a degree, where you get a stamp of being qualified in a field when you are actually only just familiar with it?

5 comments:

K.C said...

i dont know if you will agree or not.

Bachelors degree , we dint get any councelling or direction from our seniors and nor did we try anything ourselves. I think mentoring makes a hell of a difference... personally relating to Bajaj experiences... and firmly believe that if we had something similar in BE set up also could have made a difference..

K.c

Anonymous said...

No reason why I cannot agree upon your statement. However, I think mentorship is a different topic...related but different..

Refer one of my other posts...

http://lafffff.blogspot.in/2010/09/grooming.html

What you say is true, of course.

-ravi

Anonymous said...

Its a very philosphical question you bring up, Ravi. On one hand I see the point you make about education being directionless and generic for what one signs up, but the other you do need additional subject knowledge as well. Most teenagers dont know what they want (I still dont know what I want) and getting exposed to different subjects will only help them in their quest.

As for Ketan's point, couldnt agree more. Mentorship is the best form of teaching and its a tried and tested process, remember the Gurukul concept? I sometimes wish we could experience something like it.

I watched a documentry recently that talks about how the British shaped our education system. While I agree and maybe at some level thank them, I do also feel they destroyed the very root of our cultural eco-system. Education as we all know defines who we are as a society.

I could go on-and-on but it might be a fit for another forum.

As always, keep writing!! Its always a pleasure to read your blogs and enjoy the simplicity of thoughts in them.

-Abhilash

Anonymous said...

@abhilash...
Thanks for the comment.

We were quite confused at some point of time...thats right...
but then...when you've already signed up for a course....no use getting exposed to different subjects after that...because, as I mentioned, you lose track of what you have actually signed up for and what you have are supposed to be learning !!!

-ravi

Ravan said...

I had this very thought when I joined my first core engineering company. The gap between a B.E. degree and real engineering, was massive!

But I did a little looking around and found out that the unrelated subjects in our syllabus, were a problem with Mumbai University. There were no REAL INSTRUMENTATION guys amongst the guys who set our syllabus. There were plenty o Electronics guys who were appointed to decide what Instru guys should learn. No wonder we had so many electronics related subjects, which actually were useless.

However, Universities like Pune had REAL Instru guys and their syllabus reflected accordingly. No wonder Engg companies preferred them, over us!