Sunday, December 21, 2008

The importance of diplomacy

Another post related to office. Sometimes I think I am turning into a workoholic so God save me. Not that its bad..................its very bad. So the post is about a conversation I had with our departments group head....quite simply called as the General manager. He called me to his cabin in the very early hours of saturday morning when no one was there except me and a few other fools who come to office on saturdays or are compelled to. So began the conversation...

Gm: Ravi, tell me, you have now worked with almost all the senior engineers (project leads). Tell me about them?

Me: They are good, sir.

GM: See, I am asking you about them on the professional front. I am asking u for a review of your current lead. Just as I would ask him about a review of you.

This question put my usually saturday-numbed senses on red high alert. A big boss asking for a review of his juniors from a junior of his juniors. (Pardon the repetition). A question of this nature is quite tricky. There's no point in being totally honest.............especially if you honestly think that your immediate senior is bloody son of a bitch!! There is also no point in saying that hes good, coz that would be like telling your GM that "I wont tell you anything."

This question is like one of those which your lady lover asks you........Am I looking fat? If your answer is yes..........she'll say......"You are just trying to please me, you arent being honest"

If your answer is no.........she wont say anything.......she'll slap you and say "How mean!!"

So it goes without saying that the answer to such trick questions should be diplomatic. Put your point forward and yet in a non accusatory way. That is what I did that day.......first lesson in politics (professional or government)..........Be diplomatic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, politics et all eh...
kuch hamai bhi sikhao Lord M :P

jokes apart ur not workaholic.. Someday when we talk i will tell u how workaholic ppl can exactly be... I am sure ur far far away frm that breed... knwing our lifestyles i doubt we can ever join dat breed... neways cant be so sure of dat, nobody can predict the future... My motto is to succeed wid Minimum Working hours !! how doz dat sound ??


K.c !!

RK said...

sarcasm is the essence of every of my posts, boy....
Ur motto sounds great......
me too.....