Thursday, November 5, 2009

Boredom followed by shock.

One more incident comes to my mind. Quite a funny one. It was my sister's husband's cousin's marriage. As usual, in weddings, I get bored. Especially, when there is no one to talk to or anyone to look at. Usually, there is no escape from the monotony and boredom of watching the proceedings.
I was sitting on a chair at the back of the hall with my parents. My parents, some relatives, and me.... we had formed a sort of group and were seated around with our chairs arranged in a circle. I was listening to everyone, but somehow nothing was being registered in my mind (why? its obvious....I was horribly bored!!). It was as if, I was a patient, recovering from an illness.

When someone speaks to a patient, it takes sometime for his brain to register what is being said to him. That was precisely, what was happening to me. I was feeling drowsy and bored and hence all my actions had become involuntary and mechanical. If someone said anything I would nod or say hmm....or would smile if I saw others laughing or say oh! if someone else said anything. I was in a trance - like state. While I was in this state, my attention was wandering towards a relatively fat man, who was sitting near our 'circle'. The man was leaning back from his chair, such that the two hind legs of the chair were on the ground, but the front two legs were being swung up and down by him, just as a kid loves doing it. As I was watching him, it happened at a flash of a second. The plastic chair, unable to support the fat fellow's weight, gave way, snapped loudly and the next instance the man fell down with a loud 'dhop!'
This sound brought me back to my senses. If it wasnt for the fellow falling so hard....it would have been funny.For a moment, the whole hall had gone silent. He seemed to be shocked too..he was sitting on the ground with his hands splayed !!!
My mom asked me to help the man back to his feet (Mom seemed to be a bit startled too.....coz she didnt realise the fact that I would'nt be able to help the man to his feet......I was'nt even half his size !!!).
But sometimes, when you are shocked and before that you have been in a state of boredom.....you tend to listen to people mechanically....without thinking....just like I explained in the earlier paragraph.

So I got up and moved towards the guy....but by then someone (2 people....1 wasnt sufficient) had already helped the man to his feet.....
I had already reached the spot.....and quite stupidly not realising what I was doing....I picked up the pieces of the plastic chair and gave them to the man !!! It was an awkward moment when the man took the pieces of plastic......he must be wondering how my mind had been affected despite of him falling off his chair !!!

What was he going to do with those pieces ? Join the chair again with superglue?


Talk about being 'affected' by boredom followed by a shock !!!
Whenever I remember this one....I laugh my guts out !!

4 comments:

Ravan said...

Lolzzzz - Givin him the pieces of the plastic chair!

Padmini....The Dreamer!! said...

Hehehehe! Awesome stuff!!

Anonymous said...

@ravan...
Surprising bit was that he took those !!!

@Padmini..
Thanks...would like to see some posts on your blog too..

-ravi

K.C said...

lol... proves ur mean bachpan se... Matlax !!