Monday, March 10, 2008

Nature, the surprise package!!!




This weekend I went for the darshan of my ‘kuldiavat’ and ‘kuldevi’……in case any of you reading the post don’t know the meaning of the marathi words ‘kuldiavat’ and ‘kuldevi’……it means the god and the goddess which has been worshipped by the family from ancestral times or a better way to put it would be ‘The clan god’. Anyway….the trip was wonderful. I don’t feel like posting the travel description because it might be too lengthy. So ill just highlight the special moments of the trip. The temples of my kuldaivat (Kal bhairav) and kuldevi (Bhavkadevi) are situtated in villages called wada and padel respectively. These villages are near the town of Kankavli in the Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra. These temples at wada and padel are not large or rich….like the temple of siddhivinayak in mumbai….but they were very peaceful and even though smaller in size they were clean and well maintained. My concept of a ‘darshan’ is not quite the type where you stand in long queues waiting to get a glimpse of the idol!!!

So anyway talking about the trip in general, there were some sights which were totally unexpected in pleasing manner:

1) As we were travelling from Kolhapur to Kankavli…..it was a flat road surrounded by plains on both sides. After sometime we came to a road with a somewhat sharp incline beyond the top of which nothing could be seen from our car. I thought that maybe this was just another road and beyond the incline there would be nothing but flat land again. When we came to the top of the incline we had a breathtaking view of a deep valley!!! We had come to the start of the descend of ‘karul’ ghat!!! The view was simply mindblowing and the sight was absolutely refreshing!!!
2) When we were travelling from kankavli to wada….. it was just the same old flat road with flat plains and greenery all around. As we came near a curve on the road, we saw that there was a bridge ahead, probably on a river, I thought, many rivers flow through the konkan region into the sea, As I drove the car onto the bridge and looked sideways……I suddenly realized that it was not a river over which the bridge was built…..it was, in fact, the sea!!!! It was a creek bridge!!!! I could see the endless expanse of the waters below the bridge!!! It was a totally unexpected sight, seeing the sea after a perfectly plateau type land form!!! I knew that we were near the sea from the start, of course, but that sight…..Ah!!

I can never forget these two moments when I saw the deep valley and the expanse of the sea so suddenly. My heart felt a different kind of emotion…..one of joy, elation, happiness, jubilation……adjectives would be inadequate to describe my feelings!!! I leave it to you guys reading the post to imagine!!

No comments: