Saturday, March 29, 2008

What to do?

One of the first steps you take, when you are buying anything new is, the market research. Finding out whats hot and whats not, the cost of the product, the topsides and the flipsides. When there are a lot of options to choose from it’s a tough process to make a decision. On the other hand, if there is just one option then the decision making process is restricted to…… whether you want to buy the product or not!!
I went through a minor bike accident on 16th November 2007. There was quite a lot of damage to my bike (I own a 125 cc Hero Honda super splendor.)….the front ferring and the visor cracked, the rear end fibre body parts and the rim were broken, one of the indicator lamps was destroyed and the handle too had suffered some damage. Lot of people advised me to sell off my present bike and buy a new one. Reasons being…..either superstitious or downright factual…(it is said that the inner frame of the bike is deformed on large impact which happens during an accident…..the bike is never restored to its original state.)
So I started my bike hunting just a few months back……. I decided to look out for 150 cc bikes (or higher than 150cc) …..because now that I have driven a 125 cc bike……there is a natural tendency on my part to look for a vehicle that is more powerful, more performance oriented and more superior….stability wise too. I started collecting information…..Went to the Honda showroom first……Enquired about Honda Unicorn......
Honda unicorn is known for its great ride quality and engine refinement which is characteristic of honda bikes. It has a very smooth power delivery at all gears. The top speed is less than the Pulsar 150 and I have heard that the bike struggles at high speeds. Looks wise it is good, but I feel none of the 150 cc bikes can beat the Pulsar in looks and styling. It is priced at Rs .64050, Honda gives bike delivery 15-18 days after bike is booked.
Next I went to the bajaj showroom and enquired about Pulsar 200, went for a test ride too….Pulsar 200 is a perky bike….….has the typical bajaj pulsar ‘crude’ sound which some people love, some people hate, and some others (who are ignorant about bikes) who ask ‘what just roared by?’. Pulsar 200 is priced at Rs. 72500. Bajaj Pulsar is probably the first indian bike which has a digital speedometer. As mentioned above the looks and styling have no competition. Delivery period is same as Honda’s. One of my friends is having a lot of problems with his pulsar 150….digital speedo does not work…..clutch plates have been changed….he has a 1.5 year old pulsar….of course it might just be bad luck, many others have no problems. Somehow I always think that the Pulsar’s tyres have a large wheelbase as compared to that of other 150 cc motorbikes. (Is that so? Some of the Hero Honda sales people told me that it is not so…)
I test rode two of Hero Honda’s bikes……The Hero Honda Hunk seems to be quite like the Pulsar in terms of ride quality, I heard that it has a top speed of 107 kmph. Didn’t test it though!! Hunk is priced at Rs 63500. Delivery time is 0 days. Bike is delivered on booking. Karizma is truly a beauty…225 cc, is built like a sports bike and rides like one too….. great pickup and great top speed. However the front ferring looks too large or so I feel.
Lastly I went in for a test ride of TVS Apache RTR 160….what I found good about it was its comfy seating…..doesnt hurt the crotch of a small 5’ 4” fellow. Looks a bit small too. Kerb weight is on the lower side too….136 Kg. All the other 150 cc bikes are heavier with weights of upto 145 Kgs. But then it helps the power to weight ratio which is very important for stability and road handling at higher speeds. Has a digital speedo too. Ride quality is good and pickup is great. It is priced at Rs 63500, which is same as the 150 cc Hero Honda Hunk. All the above bikes have alloy wheels……the thing I find irritating about the Hunk, Karizma and the TVS RTR is that there is no heel gear pedal, just the toe pedal. So you actually have to ‘lift’ the toe pedal shift to higher gears. For me, this will take a little bit of time to get accustomed to, because I am used to stepping on the heel pedal to shift to higher gears.
All in all, all the above given bikes are good. One of my friends advised me to go in for a bajaj pulsar, other one who owns a pulsar told me don’t go for it, go in for a Honda Unicorn, some others told me to try RTR 160, saying that it’s a good bike. My grandfather told me to buy anything apart from a bajaj!!
So it’s a dilemma of course, a tough call, again there are also factors like my height and built being suitable for the bike, and also a question of whether I really want to buy a new bike at all? My present bike in repaired condition is also performing beautifully, why to sell off this bike, also its just completed 2 years…..?

4 comments:

Ravan said...

Unicorn or Karizma.... thats all u need to decide between....

Personally no matter how well the RTR performs....I wudnt go for it..... Gut feeling says NO....

Refinement and smooth power delivery.... Unicorn...

Sheer Riding Pleasure.... KARIZMA....

Ravan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ravan said...

AND DEFINITELY NONE FROM THE PULSAR SERIES...........

Ive had it for 1.5 yrs now and maybe just my piece was bad....

Its powerful and sounds good......And nothing else in the indian market can currently beat it on looks...

But simply CRUDE...... And degrades in refinement as days go by... even if u follow maintenance regularly and dont strain the bike beyond its limits...

RK said...

ya.....shortlisted it to unicorn and RTR.....until and unless the short 'list' undergoes further amendments!!!!