Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Highlight of the day? Why?

Today was a day of varied activities. Day started out as usual with me getting up late for office and reaching office on flexi time. However, I attended half day of office coz a friend (we were engineering college classmates) of mine got married today and I attended his marriage ceremony (Or the latter part of the marriage ceremony which consists of food!!) after half day of office. Met a lot of old college friends whom I had lost touch with. It was like being back to college all over again without the lectures and the study activities !!! After that we went to a nearby gaming centre and playzone to play rounds of bowling, pool and dodge-em cars!! Went to Barista coffee....to have a nice cool large glass of their 'frappe latte'. After that went back home to find that mom and dad had planned a nice 'investment schedule' for me to follow up.....Lectures on financial investments are not uncommon at my place, especially these days when the global economy is down and investors are losing out on investments made,a year ago. This condition is in turn making the same investors hope that if they invest now (when market is down) they'll make a profit on those investments (Pardon the repetition of the term 'invest'. But I have to give you an idea of how I feel when those lectures start!!!). So after hearing the lecture out and promising my mom and dad that I would henceforth invest my money thoughtfully, I left for the gym.
There is a four way junction where traffic is normally blocked......most of the times due to traffic indiscipline. As I stopped my bike behind a vehicle in a line.....I saw a man......must be around 60 years of age......dressed in civilian clothes blowing a whistle and directing traffic......that too in a neat fashion. I dont know whether he was a real traffic policeman (But then they arent that old....when in service) or maybe from a reserve department. But somehow I think he must just be a volunteer, one of those who get out from their cars and start giving directions to sort out traffic jams.
I met one of my friends at evening, we went for a ride in his newly 'serviced' car and told him about this 'old-man-directing-traffic' incident. "Yeah I saw him the other day, too. He was there in the afternoon as well as in the evening. Dont know who he is though. The old geyser must have gone mad after drving in our country's traffic conditions!!!" said my friend.

Now there are some days like these when you are involved in a lot of activities, sit for lot of meetings, meet a lot of people and see a lot of sights (sights like seeing your friend in a wedding dress!!!). But there are times when there is just one thing, a highlight of the day which you do not forget. And I dont know why but the man who was directing the traffic....left a lasting impression on me......
Dont know who he was or what he was...........but the fact was that he was old and still enthusiastically blowing a whistle and directing traffic with the precision of a real traffic policeman!!! He, probably, wasnt even paid for doing it. People could have just dismissed the old man as crazy old fool.....but it wasnt the case.....his directions were being followed and before long traffic was back to its normal free flow!!!

3 comments:

K.C said...

worst part abt investments is dat bank balance goes down overnite.... mine did wen i last came to bbay... i donno whether i am fortunate or unfortunate... that i dont get lectures home on investments ... its a freehand but either ways its da dagger of taxes or nagging that hangs on ur head.... but in da comparison i wud say ur a touch lucky to face da nagging and ofcourse get the guidance !! old men are always better off directin traffic ... en stoppin young kids frm playin cricket if u knw da ppl i am referring too :P
Neways miss u mutlee ....
chzzz

RK said...

yep......
Well ya lucky definitely coz elders have the knowledge to guide me on investments....But then at times it goes all the way and all the day!!! and as for the old ppl....they are better off directin traffic than troubling kids.....i would obviously know abt those types......in fact who better than me would know that? So its a welcome change when someone that age....does something more worthwhile....

RK said...

miss u too dahling!!!
:P
Chzz....have a gr8 life ahead.!!!