Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gudi Padwyacha hardik subhecha!!!! Happy Gudi Padwa!!!!!


Wishing everyone a very happy Gudi Padwa or as in marathi ‘Gudi Padwyacha Hardik Subhecha’ (I think its too late to wish now, but still….its ok). The significance of the Gudi Padwa festival day is that it marks the start of the maharashtrian new year. According to mythological sources it is said that this is the day when Lord Brahma created the world after the ‘big deluge’. Some sources say that when Ram returned to Ayodhya after his 14 years in exile people commemorated it by hoisting Gudis. The ‘gudi’ means the flag of Brahma (Brahmadhvaj).
Gudi padwa at my place went off pretty well because, first of all, it’s a holiday. We made garlands for the house and decorated and hoisted the Gudi. Secondly mom prepared the ‘Basundi’ which is one of my favorite sweet dishes. The ‘basundi’ is a delicious and lip smacking recipe which when eaten fills up your stomach quite quickly but still, the quantity does not satisfy your heart. The third most satisfying thing was the afternoon nap. There is no greater pleasure than eating basundi and snoozing in the afternoon!!! I can say that, the beginning of the new year with a marvelous day for me!!!!

1 comment:

Baba Gyanchand said...

Thanks for sharing such a great information.. It really helpful to me..I always search to read the quality content and finally i found this in you post. keep it up!Read my article on Gudi Padawa and it’s Facts